Friday, July 07, 2006

Protecting Abortionists, Outing Christians

California assembly member Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa) introduced AB 2251, a bill that would prohibit the online posting of addresses, telephone numbers, and pictures of reproductive clinic doctors and patients. The bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee and now awaits a vote on the Senate floor.

"Web sites are used by militant anti-abortion activists to publicize personal information about reproductive healthcare service providers and patients in order to threaten or incite violence against them," said Evans in a statement.
Meanwhile, the same folks who will vote with her to protect the identity, address, telephone number of abortionists will fully support Know Thy Neighbor, a pro-homosexual website that is posting the names and addresses of all who signed Protect Marriage petitions in Massachusetts and Florida (and I predict soon: Illinois - look for my name, it's there)...under the guise of "promoting open & meaningful conversations." But the real intent is evident on their blog and in personal stories that are posted:

John writes,

I would not have gotten so mad or have been so active if it had not been for the Morans at 415 Lafayette St. I live right down the street and was beside myself when I found out two of the origional signers of the petition were my own neighbors.
Lisa writes,

As I read the names I started to shake and feel physically sick: I have known Kathy and Wally Weld all of my life ...our families have been friends literally for generations - I am horrified by what they have done. ...they witnessed (from across the harbor) the wedding of my partner and I there two years ago and must know that we were legally married last year. I was just at a party at their house on July 4th - I could go on and on.
Once I collect my thoughts (and after I finish venting my emotions) I will write to them about their signatures. ...Also, I know that there are two gay people (not a couple) living NEXT DOOR!! to them on Cape Cod - I will be contacting them as well.
First, notice that neither of these authors outed themselves complete with their street address...but they sure felt it was fair to do just that to their unsuspecting neighbors.

Second, don't all the signers share the same freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of association that these homosexuals enjoy? Why should anyone care that someone's signature on a petition makes someone else mad or hurts their feelings? (Do these homosexuals realize that their behavior makes some people mad, too? I'm sure they do, but they don't seem to feel compelled to make any accommodation.)

Third, isn't it reasonable to suspect that most homosexuals (or adulterers or other active, unrepentant sinners) do, in fact, already know that some of their own family, so-called friends, and neighbors oppose homosexual marriage - even if they choose to act kindly (which they certainly ought to do)?

Fourth, what business is it of Lisa's to sit around thinking about who she might tattle to, how she might cause her so-called lifelong friends some grief and stir up opposition against them?

Quoting Chuck Colson:
Know Thy Neighbor leader Gary DeBusk revealed the group’s true agenda when he told the Globe: “We’re trying to say you cannot just take away people’s rights without being held accountable for that.”
No one is taking away people's rights - except Gary DeBusk. And who appointed him to hold petition signers accountable?

It seems clear that the purpose of posting names is to intimidate and even harrass those who support traditional marriage and family. If it's not okay to post the names and addresses of abortionists, it's not okay to do what Know Thy Neighbor is doing.